Friday, May 30, 2008

Bragging moment...

This is why I have a blog...to BRAG! Greg bought me a treadmill for Mother's Day and it has been an awesome tool of motivation for the boys. If any of you know my boys, you know they love to play x-box. We never could figure out a way to let them play without feeling like it was a waste of time. We have now come up with a way! The boys walk on the treadmill and earn x-box minutes. Minute-for-minute. They have to walk a minimum of 30 minutes, but after that they can walk as long as they want. One day Austin called me when I was away from home to tell me how proud of himself he was because he had walked for 50 minutes! He told me the other day that he feels so much faster when he gets off the treadmill. They also value their x-box time now. They don't just ask to play every second of the day. We will sometimes catch them outside walking on the treadmill without reminders from us. They are benefiting from the exercise and we are benefiting from them understanding the value of earning something. I must say this is one parenting technique that Greg and I are very proud of ourselves for doing. Oh, and I am proud of the boys for picking up on it so quickly!!

10 comments:

Kelli Proctor said...

you guys are such awesome parents! Keep it up!

west's said...

Oh - I'm so glad you got your treadmill. Good job, Greg! We are SO excited to come up!! I'll have to get all the info from Kelly & I'll email you or call ya. Can't wait!! And btw - all those screws on that metal thing was actually Larissa's doing!! But his shed is pretty much a goner (you should see the foundation he put it on. He put some dirt under it and a few rocks and called it good) They are mailing us replacement pieces for a small cost!! Yeah right - small. This shed is ending up being just as much as the next one that we could have gotten!!

Lisa said...

That is a really good idea! I need a treadmill!

Lindsay AJ said...

What an awesome idea! I will definitely have to remember that one!

Anonymous said...

Great brag! I just have to share this - we felt the PS2, etc. was a waste too and so a couple summers ago we started trading reading minutes for playing time - but they can only play on the weekend - all they want. I like the idea of the exercise also - that's great they like it too.

Anonymous said...

Great brag! I just have to share this - we felt the PS2, etc. was a waste too and so a couple summers ago we started trading reading minutes for playing time - but they can only play on the weekend - all they want. I like the idea of the exercise also - that's great they like it too.

Quiggle said...

Awesome idea! Glad your enjoying your treadmill. Aaron said it's a good one!

Eden said...

I made a blog spot you can come and visit! Hey missed you all at church today-Out visiting & doing calling stuff I am betting..

Eden said...

jareden.blogspot.com- blonde moment forgot to leave the link w/ the last post ;-)

Beth said...

great idea! I might have to steal that from you one day!