Friday, May 30, 2008
I'll miss my childhood house!
I think all the girls in our family are very sentimental, this proves it. My dad retired this past January and they are ready to move on to missions and smaller sqft. The house I grew up in was the funnest house for a kid to live in. My parents got it as a bank repo. When they first bought it nobody had lived in it for years. People had climbed the back balcony and graffitied the inside. We did a lot of painting and cutting down trees. My mom has been renovating the house since we moved in. The house is 7300 sqft, it started with 9 bedrooms, 5 baths, secret passageways from closets, dumbwaiter, entercom system and all that great stuff. All of which were removed from the house, except the entercom system. That way we never missed any conference no matter where we were hiding in the house, oh, and we could ask our friends who we knew were coming over if it was really them at the front door. Since we've lived there my parents have changed every part of the house except the living room walls. They have added an apartment upstairs. They have added a big family room where a patio used to be. My brother landscaped and it is now so beautiful. As you can see they are stuccoing the outside and getting ready to sell. It's all very sad. So many safe childhood memories are there and it was the center gathering for when all my siblings were in town. It's the best thing for my parents, they don't need that much space anymore. I guess I always thought my parents would live there forever, like my grandparents did in their houses. Just like the way I thought we'd raise our kids in Utah, but here we are 3000 miles away. Life changes, even when you don't want it to! Thanks for the pictures, Jess.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



11 comments:
your parents have a nice home I'm sure they'll get big bucks for it. I know what you mean--there are a lot of memories. It's good that you have some good pics.
I feel your pain Melinda. My parents are starting to talk about moving for the same reasons and we all throw a fit. At the same time, I know it's too much work for them when now is the time they want to start relaxing more. Boo hoo for us though. No where is like the place you grew up. Their home looks beautiful.
Matt seriously went into a small depression about his childhood home being sold 2 years ago... every time we go home, he still tells his parents how stupid it is that they sold it! I really wouldn't be surprised if he found a way to buy it one day!
I think your parents home is beautiful and the yard alone does it for me!
I love your other posts as well... the treadmill cracks me up. Way to go Hunter and Austin on being so focused!
It's fun to see how much our lives parallel each others with these boys... Luke and Austin would be best of buddies goin' into first grade! We really need to get to AK!
So sad!! I know it will be good for them - but where will we go when we go to visit? Oh well - if they move down here it will be good though. I took a ton more picture of all the inside if you want me to email them to you I can, just so you have them for keepsake. Let me know. I guess the realtor will be taking a ton of pictures too
I am so sad too. We even went up north for an appointment for Kenyon and we couldn't stop by to visit and let our boys play out in the yard. I have been having a hard time with it because of all the great memories. Maybe we can make a little scrap book for all the kids and mom and dad and write all of our favorite memories in it with favorite pics. I forgot about the "secret passage ways" through the closet's until we watched ET last week and that's what they have. Cool!
Hey Melinda-
I too have a lot of good memories of your house. It's sad to think that things change and life goes on. I read that you will be in Utah in July---we will be there too. We are going over the 4th weekend. Let me know when you'll be there. I love reading your blog.
So sad! I love your parents house. My favorite part is the landscape around it. Beautiful!
What! I just drove by there the other day. So sad. My Aunts name is Pat Hunt. She isn't LDS so that probably makes it not too likely that you've run into each other. What exactly are you guys doing in Alaska anyways?
That would be so hard! It was definitely a cool house on an awesome piece of land. Change is ussually a good thing though. Even though you knew it would come, it still would be so hard because you have so many memories there!
Melinda,
I haven't checked anyone blog in awhile because I have been trying to finish Mally's baby scrapbook (I'm not too far behind, right?) Your boys are so cute, I can't believe they work out on the treadmill. Good for them. You guys are such great teachers for your children. Hope you are well. Traci
K seriously.. it's so sad! That street is just NOT going to be the same! I LOVE your parents house.. so many memories there.. SAD! :( It looks AWESOME! We just drove by it the other day..
Post a Comment