Friday, August 14, 2009

Life and Death

I must say these past few weeks have been very spiritual, but also very hard. We went to Utah for a family reunion that we have every year over the 24th. After a few days of being in Utah we got news that Greg's mom's cancer in her liver was shutting her body down and she only had two weeks to a month left to live. I decided that since I really had nothing pressing for me to do in Alaska that I would stay and help with as much as I could. I am so thankful for that choice. I feel like I was able to spend some very valuable time with a women that I've always admired. I imagine that when you know you are going to die soon that many thoughts go through your head. You start to have regrets on how you lived your life or choices that you've made. Not Janet. I never once heard her talk about regrets. She just pled for us to forgive others and spend time with one another. Greg's family is amazing! Someone was always there to rub mom's back or feet or just lay by her in bed. Greg has five siblings and about 37 nieces/nephews and almost 7 great neices/nephews. Every person has been touched by this wonderful women. I must say that what I have learned from her is how much she cared for others. When you talked with her she only had ears for you. She made you feel like you were the most important person at that moment, plus she was always on my side if Greg and I had a disagreement. She will be missed!

We got home late Wednesday night and was Thursday morning we were trying to get back into a routine until we got news that Greg's third oldest brother, Bruce, was coming back from picking his trailor up from Fish Lake and it fishtailed so bad that they (Bruce, Ali and her three kids) crashed. Bruce died on impact. The children were not hurt badly and Ali has some head injuries. August 13th is Greg's mom's birthday and Greg's dad was making a special trip to the ranch to have some alone time and try and sort out his thoughts about losing a wife at age 68. He came upon this accident and knew it was his sons van. Life throws you curves that change your life! Greg flew back last night, not 24 hours after being home to go be with his family. A lot of "why" questions are being asked, but all I can say is life has been put into perspective. Life is so short and we don't know what is in store for us. As Greg's mom would say...Forgive and love all you come in contact with.

Thanks for all the love and support that has been with Greg and myself and his family through this all. We love you all and know that we are in your prayers. Thank you!!

18 comments:

Cathie said...

Oh Melinda! What a beautiful perspective! I am so so sorry for the pain that death brings and your family is going through. So sorry. I am touched and will try to remember whats important. All my love!

Holly Sanders said...

Greg and Melinda--so sorry for your loss. Robyn told me about Greg's mom not doing too well, and that you were in Utah.-- and I can't believe his brother also. Hard times for your family --our prayers are with you! I will call soon, I'd love to talk.

carlston said...

Melinda... I can't even imagine what you and Greg are going through. I am so sorry. I wish I were close to give you a hug. Your thoughts are well stated and so important to remember for those of us left here to endure and enjoy life. We will pray for your family. Love you.

Shannon said...

What a hard time right now....your family is our prayers and thoughts.

Tony and Jay Ivins said...

We were so glad to see you both. We were so sad to hear about Greg's brother too. Tony loved all the Harr's. Hope you are all doing well. Our prayers are with you.

Jason and Kristin said...

So sad. I'm amazed at your optimism. What a good example! We'll keep Greg's family in our prayers.

j said...

melinda- i read this sunday night and was so sad to hear about your family. i wasn't able to comment, but know your family has been in my prayers! i agree with cathie- you've got a wonderful perspective. i admire you and your family so much- i think you're wonderful. what a great tribute to greg's mom, too.
if i can do anything, please let me know. thank you for the reminder of priorities. suddenly, the little irritations of life are not so irritating anymore.

Kelli Proctor said...

Please know that we love you guys and will always be here for you! The funeral was beautiful, the Harr family is truely amazing....I really cant stop thinking of your family, esp. after the news of Gregs brother last week....I am so sorry. You guys are a special family and I know Rog holds you guys so close to his heart all the time, he would not be who he is without the Harr family. We love you guys!

Kelli Proctor said...

Hey I know Rog really wanted to go to Bruce's funeral but never heard back from Greg...did it already happen? and is Greg still here? Anyway, hope you guys are ok...

Taylor said...

Melinda--I am so sorry for the losses you have had in your life---I know how much you loved Greg's mom. She always treated you like a daughter. Please know that your family is my my thoughts and prayers at this time.

Annalee

Alyssa said...

We love you guys! So sorry about all of this...hang in there!

Anonymous said...

I wish I'd known all of this when I talked to you this morning (1st day of school). Your family is in our prayers. Thank you for sharing your inspiring thoughts. The way you handle life continues to amaze me. Love you!

Kritta22 said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry for your loss! What a wonderful woman she must have been to leave such a wonderful feeling in your hearts.
It's just shocking to hear about accidents like Greg's brother. Big hugs from us Waggoners. You will be in our prayers.
Love ya

The Dollar Fam said...

Greg & Melinda - We just wanted to let you know that we are thinking about you and love you. I couldn't agree more with your word Melinda. Janet was an amazing women. She loved everyone and would do anything for anyone. Sorry to hear about Bruce as well. We will keep the Harr family in our prayers. May the Lord bless you and may those why's be turned into increased faith.

The Rhodehouse's said...

We are so sorry. I loved reading what you wrote. It is so true. We never know when our time comes. We love you all.

Springers said...

I'm so sorry, what a tragedy. Your famiy will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Michelle & Steve said...

What a month...I'm so sorry to read about all of this; don't you think it is amazing how during all of this the Spirit is so strong even though it is so hard? I'm glad that you were able to extend your time in Utah to spend more time with Greg's mom. Wishing you the best as you navigate the coming months of grieving... love you guys.

Christina Bitner said...

I am so sorry Greg and Melinda and kids. That is so hard. Our lives are so precious. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.